1) “as many as 7,000 developers in the U.S.”.
- What was announced was 2,000 employees being let go, most of them in development ranks. Obviously the number was off substantially, but there were alot of skeptics in the comment threads about them laying off developers, and that did happen
2) “16% of the Siebel workforce would be cut loose”
- 10% of Siebel’s employees were cut loose, probably from FG&A. The number was off again, but all in all this turned out to be pretty accurate. When you do the math it comes out with about 1,500 Oracle employees losing their jobs today, and the bulk of those are probably PSFT employees who’s “package” expired with the 1 year anniversary of that deal, but that’s just speculation on my part.
3) “Oracle’s CRM group was a target”
- dead on accurate
4) “Layoffs will happen in Feb”
All-in-all, I’m giving this rumor a “C” grade, mostly because the numbers were off by a large margin. Interesty side note on this is that my traffic spiked up pretty significantly over the last week, all of the additional traffic coming from search engines and pointing to the layoff posts, and a traffic analysis revealed that 20% of my total traffic, which would roughly equate to the additional traffic I was getting, was coming from oracle.com.